Attendance Form & Procedures
Parents can submit attendance for their student using one of the following three methods
For families anticipating absences (required family travel emergency like funerals or weddings), please complete and return this prearranged absence form. When reporting absences, please be specific about the reason why your child will not be attending school today.
- Please indicate whether your child has any of the following symptoms:
- Feeling feverish or chills
- Fever greater than or equal to 100.4 F
- Headache (not due to another health condition, hunger, menstrual cramps stress, or injury)
- A new cough (not due to another health condition)
- Shortness of breath or breathing difficulties (not due to diagnosed respiratory condition or if different than normal pattern of chronic condition)
- A new sore throat (not due to another health condition)
- Congestion or runny nose (not related to allergies or health condition)
- Fatigue (more tired than normal or sudden onset)
- New muscle pain (not due to another health condition or that may have been caused by a specific activity such as physical exercise))
- New loss of taste, smell, or appetite
- Abdominal pain (not due to hunger, constipation, injury, or stress)
- Nausea, vomiting or diarrhea
FCPS staff will be responsible for contacting those parents/guardians who have not provided information as to why their student is absent. FCPS staff will also provide the school health team with information regarding any student that has remained home due to the above COVID-like illness symptoms.
More information can be found on the FCPS County Attendance Policy Webpage
Absence Notification Procedures
Parents/guardians will be contacted whenever a child is marked absent by his/her teacher if there has been no prior parent notification using one of the three methods above. This system is used as a safeguard to assure both parents and school that the child does, indeed, arrive at school after he/she leaves home. A written excuse should be given to your child's teacher by your child upon their return to school. FCPS regulation 2234 requires that any child who is absent from school for 15 consecutive days or more be withdrawn officially from our rolls. Upon the child's return, the parent must re-enroll him/her.
Release from School Before the End of the Instructional Day
To protect valuable instructional time, non-school activities should not be scheduled during school hours. If a child must leave early for a medical or dental appointment, a parent should send a note in advance and sign the child out in the office at the appropriate time. It is not necessary to call the school in this case. The child will be called to the office once the parent/guardian arrives at the Main Entrance (Entrance #1) door. Children will not be released during the school day to anyone other than the parent/guardian or persons listed on the emergency care card.
Late Arrivals and Absences
A child arriving at school late (after the 9:00AM bell) will be marked tardy. If parents/guardians arrive at Kiss and Ride after 9AM, drive to the Main Entrance (Door #1) and call the office at 703-239-4000 to let the Main Office know your child is arriving late. Someone will greet your child at the door and escort your child to class.