Below, find information about these services along with the contact person for each area.
- Guidance Counselor
- Parent Liaison
The FCPS school counseling program provides comprehensive services to all students in grades K-12, supporting student success by providing academic, college and career, and personal and social counseling. School counselors help build a foundation for learning while supporting students' achievement and postsecondary goals.
Benefits of School Counseling Services
- Ensures every student receives the benefit of the school counseling program by designing content curriculum for every student.
- Monitors data to facilitate student improvement.
- Provides strategies for closing the achievement gap.
- Promotes a rigorous academic curriculum for every student.
- Ensures equitable access to educational opportunities.
- Fosters advocacy for students.
- Supports development of skills to increase student success.
(Adapted from ASCA National Model, 2005)
The school counselor works directly with students in individual and group counseling sessions as well as in classroom lessons so students may:
- Adjust to a new school.
- Be successful in school.
- Establish effective study skills.
- Develop positive feelings about work, family and society.
- Build positive feelings towards self and others.
- Develop skills in interacting and communicating with others.
- Cope with change in themselves and their surroundings.
- Identify and accept their own and others’ strengths and weaknesses.
- Recognize the causes and effects of their actions.
- Become responsible for their behavior.
- Receive crisis intervention when necessary.
The school counselor helps students become motivated learners and encourages them to discuss concerns with their parents or guardians. When students work through their social and emotional issues with the help of their parents or guardians and the counselor, they are able to devote attention and energy to the intellectual tasks at school.
Myeong is available Tuesdays. You can stop in the school or reach her by phone. If she is not available, you can leave a message and your call will be returned as soon as possible during the day or evening, whichever you prefer.
Who Are Parent Liaisons?
Parent Liaisons are special staff members who work in your child's school. They help you get the information and assistance you need to support your child at home and to ensure your child's academic success.
Why Do Schools Have Parent Liaisons?
Parent Liaisons serve as a communication link between home and school. They welcome and orient families to the school and familiarize the families with the school's culture, policies, procedures, and practices.
What Can Parent Liaisons Do?
Because parent liaisons know a great deal about your child's school and community, they are a valuable resource for you. They can connect you with the appropriate people within the school or community who can help you meet your child's needs.
Parent liaisons establish and build successful working relationships with the families of all children in the school. They appreciate the school's cultural diversity and work to foster unity, cohesiveness, and cooperation among all families.
All parent liaisons are proficient in the English language; many speak one or more additional languages.
How Do Parent Liaisons Help Parents?
- Parent liaisons provide services such as the following to assist you and your child.
- Encourage open communication between you and school personnel.
- Explain the purpose and process of conferences and school meetings.
- Attend conferences and school meetings with you to clarify procedures and processes.
- Arrange meetings between your family and school staff members.
- When needed, make arrangements to have language interpreters or translators at school meetings.
- Explain school policies, practices, and programs.
- Provide information about school goals, resources, and activities.
- Give school tours.
- Offer suggestions about how you can become involved in your child's education and your school community.
- Help you connect with any special help or service you child may need.
Downloadable copies of "School Success Ideas for Parents" are available from the Parent Institute. This service is available to all schools in the system. The service, linked above, delivers practical, research-based parent involvement information that is automatically updated every day.
Kings Glen Hours for Registration - 8:00AM to 4:00PM
Parents can enroll students throughout the school year as well as during the summer. Please contact Chris Kamerow at 703.239.4000 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. She will assist you with the registration process.